Monday, January 6, 2014

Just Over 2 Months To Go: My Life Is A List

#TheList. It haunts me.

I've always been a list-maker, but now it's gone to the extreme. I said that this blog wouldn't be a "resource site," but I might share a clean version of my master list tomorrow in case it helps out any list-loving-but-logistics-hating folks of my ilk. Maybe it can help others, others like me who love a completed list like Cookie Monster loves a crazy big cookie.*

So.

Here's where I am with #TheList, AKA The List of What Needs To Be Done For This W-Word Thing To Happen (you can understand why I shortened it to #TheList).

Everything with a " ü "  - I've completed. Anything highlighted, I'm behind schedule on. Anything with that other weird symbol that keeps replacing my check-box icon is not yet done, but not yet overdue. I have my work cut out for me. (Also, I should note - I'm saying "I" and not "we" because while D does have a few assignments, since he's now several states away and starting an intense new job, this last couple of months of W-word planning is mostly coming down to me. On behalf of we. Luckily, I/we have an excellent on the ground AND distance cadre of people willing to help us/me get this done.)

Here's where we are:


The (Fun! Fabulous!) Off-Season
5 Month Wedding Planning Checklist

(Okay, yeah, so we've been engaged for more than 5 months - we decided to "just enjoy being engaged" for the first month or two - can't say I regret that... YET) 

5 Months Ahead
ü  Set a date – run it by important must-attend list (parents, besties) before locking it in!
ü  Book a venue for the service
ü  Book a venue for the reception (light two candles with one match and have both in the same place – BOOM – that’s our plan)
ü  Select officiant
ü  Determine a budget and how expenses will be shared
ü  Decide on a color scheme, if you’re having one
ü  Take engagement photos (and make them YOU)
ü  Guest List for Save-The-Date / the big invite

4 Months Ahead
ü  Send Save-The-Date
ü  Buy a dress (or whatever you’re planning to wear for the big day)
ü  Buy appropriate underwear (to go under said dress / whatever)
ü  Put together your ensemble (some people call them bridesmaids, groomsmen, that sort of thing, but we preferred the more-inclusive and theatrical “ensemble”)
ü  Hire a photographer
ü  Create wedding website
ü  Have some fun registering for stuff (and start looking around your place and deciding what you’re ready to donate or lovingly gift elsewhere)
ü  Start premarital counseling

3 Months Ahead
ü  Book reception entertainment
Hire a videographer – OR ASK A FRIEND!
ü  Do some tastings
ü  Hire a caterer
Book tables, chairs, linens, serving-ware, anything you may need (or make sure your venue has all of that covered
Order cake/groomscake
ü  Book rehearsal dinner location
ü  Choose ensemble attire (again, other people might call ‘em bridesmaid dresses and tuxes, but we’re going with “upscale techie”)
ü  Figure out flowers
ü  Order invitations
ü  Get hotel rooms blocked / hopefully with event discount!
ü  Contact venue to confirm timeline for day of rental
ü  Buy wedding bands
Start planning for honeymoon – making sure passports are up to date, that sort of thing…


2 Months Ahead
ü  Select and send invitations
      Draft service and program (including ensemble roles)
€       Meet with a financial planner to sort out financial plans/any merging
€       Meet with an insurance dude to figure out life insurance, discounts for auto, any policies and/or paperwork you need to plan on updating
€       Order wedding favors
€       Order Ketubah (if you’re getting married under a chuppah)
€       Send shot list / requests to photographers
€       Decorations meeting 
€       Have a tech meeting to go over set-up, sound system, etc.

1 Month Ahead
€       Arrange for time off work (wedding, at least; mini-moon/honeymoon?!)
€       Book hotel room for nights surrounding wedding, as needed (consult with family)
€       Purchase or procure accessories like guest book, aisle runner, etc.
€       Make appointment with stylist; do a test run of hair/makeup
€       Buy gifts for ensemble
ü  Get marriage license (30 days out) + any other tests or documents required by the state
€       Buy / create Jewish wedding kit (wine, glasses, glass for breaking, easel for Ketubah)
€       Harass anyone who hasn’t RSVP’d
     Send evite for rehearsal dinner
€       Finalize number of attendees and share info with rental folks, catering, etc.

2 Weeks Ahead
€       Check in with all vendors (caterer, photographer, videographer, entertainment, venue)
€       Plan seating arrangements, if you’re doing that (FYI, we’re not)
€       Test run with chuppah set-up
€       Finalize and print programs
€       Create cue list (order of how everything will go in the venue – service, cocktails, food…)

1 Week Ahead
€       Grocery shopping: put together an awesome snack basket for the ensemble
€       Mani and pedi (me)
€       Haircut (he)
€       Pack car with everything needed (that deserves its own list: dress, snacks, party favors, ketubah, wedding kit, toiletries, rings, license… yeah, seriously, make a separate list)

Day of the Show, Y’All
€       Evening before: Rehearsal
€       Evening before: Rehearsal dinner
€       Morning of: EAT FREAKIN’ BREAKFAST
€       Set up at venue with ensemble
€       Hair, makeup, costumes
€       Make sure stage managers have cue list
€       Eat, drink, and be married.

The good news is, two months out, while I am still behind... I'm not nearly as far behind as I was when I was three months out... it was frankly far too embarrassing at that point to share this list. Making progress, y'all.

*Yes. ANY EXCUSE FOR THAT GIF.

2 comments:

  1. Progress is good. I don't see any symbol next to the "Draft wedding service and program"-- on track or not your job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Blogger just doesn't like this many bulleted lists/symbols :) It's on my list, not done yet but not *quite* overdue... planning to finish it up tomorrow eve.

      Delete