Monday, June 24, 2013

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something 32

“Have you heard that parody song, ‘32’?” My friend asked.

“What’s that?” I said.

“Ohmigawd it’s awesome,” she gushed. “It’s making fun of Taylor Swift’s heartfelt song ‘22.’”

“I haven’t heard that, either,” I said.

“That’s because you’re old,” she said. “Tell you what. Skip Taylor Swift’s song, but go watch the parody.”

I watched both. Because I needed to know. Without further comment, I shall simply say that yes, the one for and by my fellow 30somethings is the one that looks a lot more like my life. And hip size. Enjoy the parody:
 As for the original Taylor Swift song, well, you’ve probably already heard it – because I’m not that old (thanks, friend) but I am a nerd. Which means my radio is usually on NPR.  

This little ditty is particularly well-timed, though, because when my friend mentioned it, I had LITERALLY JUST STARTED COMPILING A LIST OF HOW DIFFERENTLY I WOULD’VE APPROACHED THIS WHOLE BRIDAL/MARRIAGE THING 10 YEARS AGO.

Here’s just a sampling of some of the things I feel differently about now, in my thirties, than if I had been bride-ing it up in my twenties – which, incidentally, also constitutes a preview of the next few posts you can expect to see here:

1) Expectations (i.e., my own)
2) Expectations (i.e., other people's)
3) Changing my name
4) The Dress
5) Equality (i.e., everyone's)
6) My Body
7) Ritual & Tradition
8) Bachelorette Parties
9) Bachelor Parties
10) Bridesmaid Dresses

....to name just a few. I'll be walking down the aisle at 32, and yeah, Taylor - I'll be feelin' it.

1 comment:

  1. It's a mix at any age. I try to keep looking forward- appreciate the here & now and still believe "the best is yet to be..."

    ReplyDelete