Monday, October 21, 2013

Oh, Right: People Are Creepy!

So, as loyal readers will know, I've already purchased at least one wedding dress that I won't be wearing. It's not a returnable item, so I decided I would try to re-sell it. I listed it on Tradesy, and after a few weeks of a bite here and there but no buyer, I decided on a whim to also list it locally, on Creepslist. I mean, Craigslist.

No, actually, I mean Creepslist. The post, advertising a "beautiful, elegant wedding dress; never worn" got a response within five minutes of going live.

The  response was this (sic sic sic):

U LOOKIN 2 HOOK UP? LETS GET 2GETHER.
U CAN BRING THAT WEDING DRESS.

In other words, some random Creepster was all like:

"BRING THE DRESS. Yes?"

And I was all like:

"WHAAAAAAAAT? No. No. Nononononono."

This message (thankfully sent through the anonymous, email-hidden Craigslist messaging system) has reminded of two important things:
  1. There are people in the world who see "never-worn wedding dress" and think I have a shot with this vulnerable chick! I bet she wants to hook up with me and do freaky things while wearing a dress because she is sad! These people freaking LOVE Craigslist. This is probably why Craigslist hides your real email address. And why Best of Craigslist is a thing.
  2. Despite still having some AAAIIIEEEEE GETTING MARRIED IS SCARY moments, I am really glad I have a cool partner I am going to marry. Because getting a message like this, just for listing a wedding dress for sale, reminded me of what dating can be like. At least for the immediate future, there is zero chance of me putting on glasses colored rose by time and distance and romanticizing what dating (at least, my dating life) was actually like.
Thanks, Craiglist. You have yet to bring me any actual money, but you sure do deliver some important life lessons.

6 comments:

  1. I approve your Community gifs. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am often grateful for Mr. Glover's face, in particular.

      Delete
  2. Yuck. Not sure I want to try to sell my bar stools now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be sure to take some muscle with you before meeting up with anyone...

      Delete
  3. You should have offered a freed dinner and back shave, that worked for Carl! RL

    ReplyDelete