Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Off Season and Off Color

I said it on Twitter last week, and I meant it - metaphorically, at least:

(Willow really did punch Xander, but she was in a
MUCH more stressful situation. Perspective.)
The next person to ask me what my colors are is going to hear me scream "BLACK AND BLUE!" as I (resist the urge to) punch them.

Okay, so I was exaggerating. We know for a fact that I was exaggerating, because I really did post that on Twitter last week, and not two hours later, someone really did casually inquire as to what my colors would be.

I did not scream. Or punch them. I just smiled sweetly and said "I don't know."

Not I don't know yet, just I don't know. Because I don't know what my colors are, or if I have to pick colors, or why I have to pick colors, or when I have to pick colors in order to be sure that the universe will not explode due to my lack of color picking. I mean, that must be a danger, right? That's why everyone keeps asking about it? As in, daily news round-up: what's going on in Egypt, how's the economy handling this week, oh hell we almost forgot to get the latest update -- what are Beth's colors?!

I feel the same way when people ask what my theme is (weddings have themes?).

In all likelihood, my irritation in the face of these questions is directed less at the people asking, and more at what the questions represent (and the various reactions they stir up in me):

1) Expectations I'm not necessarily embracing (why do weddings need to have themes?)
2) The pressure to start making decisions (we should probably choose a theme, huh?)
3) A little chagrin at my own lack of knowledge (seriously - weddings have themes?)

I'm also watching several younger brides-to-be around me take all of this on far more gracefully - more on that later, but for now, suffice to say that they all have themes.

And so, in the face of all of this...

I've been doing a lot of cleaning, baking, writing, and not-selecting-colors... BUT I DID ALSO SCHEDULE OUR FIRST VENUE SCOUTING APPOINTMENT, and will be adding several more to the schedule for that day.

Oh, and we chose a theme: joy.

So that's something, right?

10 comments:

  1. I most definately understand your pain. I don't care about colors or themes. I just want a nice wedding where people eat, drink and have fun. I've begone to dread any time anyone asks me about our wedding. I finally just picked black and ivory and told the bridesmaids to wear any nice black cocktail dress they choose. It's simple, low stress, and to be honest, I can't bring myself care enough about what the bridal party will be wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach it, lady!

      (By the way, we're excited for your nuptials)

      xoxo
      B

      Delete
  2. I'm glad now that I hadn't asked about colors. The practical reason being, shopping for MOB dresses, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shopping will come! But The MOB shall not be locked in to any one set color ;-)

      xoxo
      B

      Delete
  3. off color- heh heh heh- get it, get it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can think about is this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyerYQ6n3hA
    Thank you internet! Loving your updates so much, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa, I want you to know that I'll never have trouble remembering why you number among my favorites.

      xoxo
      B

      Delete
  5. Oooh, weddings have certainly changed in the last twenty years. When I was planning Galoot's & my wedding, I vaguely recall seeing *some*thing about themes, but it was more along the lines of "some crazy high-society types with more money than sense are doing this nutty thing." Can I blame the bridezilla-type reality shows? I think I'm going to blame them for all things nutty-wedding.

    One thing that I'm betting hasn't changed (and if you haven't run across it yet, prepare yourself): the price of renting a wedding venue. Oh good heavens. Simply *breathe* the word wedding at a venue and, I swear, the prices triple or quadruple. I would seriously recommend asking for prices to hold a "party" there (and never you mind that it's a *wedding* party, Mr/Ms Event Coordinator). Gah.

    As for your colors, if you haven't decided yet, here's what I did: figured out my absolute favorite color (well, two in my case). Sort out which ones are more likely to not clash horribly with skin tones (yours, his, wedding party, whomever). Use that one. A friend of mine decided she couldn't be bothered with color, so she chose a style of dress (very vague, I think it was "short sleeve, tea length, appropriate for weather/etc") and let everybody pick their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moni, FOR REAL. One breath of the W word and prices triple.

      "Oooh!" They seem to think. "Getting married means they're suddenly RICH!"

      Such is not the case.

      Delete